7 Ways To Radically Change Your Life
We all have moments in our lives when we feel as though we are in a rut, where nothing seems to go to plan and we feel like not doing anything at all. Most often it's just due to the fact that we have gotten ourselves in the rut but haven't yet figured out how we are going to get ourselves out.
- Change your image. Often changing your wardrobe can give you a radically different outlook on your life. We all know how our image can affect our perception of our selves and what we want to portray to the world. If you haven't changed or updated your wardrobe for quite some time then this is as good a time as any. Go to your wardrobe and throw out anything you haven't worn in a few seasons. You can't make room for the new unless you first create space. Now it's a matter of going on a shopping spree and spice up your wardrobe with new outfits. Give yourself permission to be bold and if possible take along a friend who you perceive as fashionable. Why not give yourself a new haircut and treat yourself to a facial. The results will surprise you and may even give you a new found lift in your day.
- Get out and travel. Traveling gives you an opportunity to see how other people live. You learn to appreciate other cultures and in turn may even give you a new sense of appreciation for what you have in your life. If at all possible you would want to take time off and just see the world. It needn't be expensive. Take an opportunity during your travel to pause and reflect as to where you are and where you want to go. You will be able to see your life from a totally new perspective.
- Get a new job. We spend quite literally a third of our waking lives at our place of employment. So if you aren't being inspired or you don't enjoy your workplace then you will want to make it a priority to look for another job. A new job can give you a new routine and a new environment may also give you an opportunity to break out of your rut. We all know how excited we are when we start something new and a new job can give you that feeling. It's not to say that every time you get into a rut you find a new job, but if you find that your job satisfaction levels are quite low and you feel it is due to your work environment then why not change it. After all life is too short to spend it in a place where you aren't growing.
- Take up a new hobby. If you are like many people, your daily routine would involve you coming home from a days work and plonking yourself down in front of the television so that you can unwind. We literally can waste away as much as five hours a day just watching mindless television. That's thirty five hours a week and not all that far away from the amount of hours you spend at work. Why waste that time in front of the TV set when you can instead spend that with your family or doing a hobby. Join a club or create activities where your family can go.
- Find new friends. Often we get caught in our familiarity, we spend time with the same friends because it's familiar, we follow the same route to work because it's familiar. Familiarity has it's place but if you are in a rut then it may be doing more to hold you back then helping you to progress. One way to create a new buzz in your life is to find new friends. They will be able to give you a new perspective on things and the enjoyment of building up a new relationship can be rewarding.
- Read inspiring books. Research has shown that many people after they complete their schooling never touch another book again. Yes, trashy magazines and fictional works don't really count. You want to read inspirational and motivational books that can really get you thinking about your life and where you want to go. There is a whole section in many bookstores on self help and many give you great suggestions on getting yourself out of a rut in your life. Why not look to others to give you answers then blindly hoping that the answer will one day hit you in the head.
- Volunteer for the homeless or a nursing home. Learn to appreciate your life and the importance of living. By spending time with people less fortunate or lonely you can not only bless their lives but they in turn may inspire you to make more out of your life. In the end everyone wins. Find a good charity near where you live and why not set aside a few hours a week. You can certainly find a few hours out of your week to help others in need.